Are you looking for an easy Christmas sugar cookies recipe to make at home? Want to decorate it with homemade icing? Then this article might just be what you are looking for.
In this article you will find all the ingredients needed to make Christmas sugar cookies, the process to making sugar cookies and icing along with nutrition facts of Christmas sugar cookies.
What Is Christmas Sugar Cookies?
Christmas sugar cookies are flavorful cookies in the shape of Christmas theme items decorated with icing and sprinkles.
Christmas theme items includes candy canes, Christmas trees, stars, baubles, Christmas hats, snowflakes, or other Christmas-themes shaped cookies. Using Christmas themed cookie cutter you need to cut the cookies and then decorate the cookies with homemade icing or royal icing using your creativity.
Christmas Sugar cookies are also known as holiday sugar cookies as it’s generally sold seasonally during the Christmas holidays.
Making Christmas sugar cookies with you family especially kids is a great activity to bond over during the holiday season. Enjoy this activity with your family this Christmas and create lots of memories with your family.
Christmas Sugar Cookies Recipe
Here’s what ingredients you need to have while making the Christmas sugar cookies and the icing.
Ingredients For Christmas Sugar Cookies Dough
To make the dough of the sugar cookies you will need these listed ingredients below.
- Flour – You will need all-purpose flour to make the sugar cookie dough. This recipe makes 60 Christmas sugar cookies. To make 60 Christmas sugar cookies you will need 5 cups of all-purpose flour. Fluff the all-purpose flour using a spoon. Then scoop the flour in a measuring cup to measure it leveling the flour with the measuring cup. Do not pack the cup with flour then the measurement ratio will be off.
- Sugar – You will need white granulated sugar for this Christmas sugar cookies recipe. You will need 2 cups of white sugar in a measuring cup and level it with a spatula or knife.
- Butter – You need unsalted butter for this recipe at room temperature. The butter should not be frozen or greasy or mushy but soft enough to scoop it. If you press your finger in the butter it should leave an indentation. You will need one and half cups of this softened butter.
- Eggs – You will need large eggs for this recipe. The eggs should be at room temperature. You will need 4 large eggs for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – To make cookies you will need baking powder as a leavening agent that will help the dough to rise while baking. You will need 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Salt – Use regular table salt in this Christmas sugar cookies recipe. You will need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Vanilla Extract – You will need 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Try using real vanilla extract for flavorful sugar cookies instead of imitation vanilla extract.
Now that you are all informed about ingredients need to make the sugar cookies dough, learn what ingredients are needed for making the icing.
Ingredients for Icing
To make the ingredients for icing you will need:
- 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Half teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. To get white icing replace this step with water.
- 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup
- 4.5 to 5 tablespoons of water at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring or gel and sprinkles for decoration
Tools To make The Christmas Sugar Cookies
Here are all the tools you need to make these Christmas sugar cookies.
- Electric mixer
- Baking Tray
- Baking Sheets
- Baking Mats or Parchment
- Rolling Pin
- Christmas-themed cookie cutter
- Squeeze bottle for decoration
- Food coloring
- Silicone spatula
- Large bowls
How To Make Christmas Sugar Cookies?
Start with making the cookie dough. Make sure all the ingredients in the recipe are at room temperature.
- Start by taking a bowl and adding room temperature butter and sugar in it. Take an electric mixer and mix these two ingredients until its smooth.
- Add the room temperature vanilla extract and eggs to the mixture and beat it.
- Then add flour, slat and baking powders by their measurement given above in the mixture. Stir this mixture and let it chill for a minimum of an hour and maximum overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Take a rolling pin and dust some flour on the surface of work surface where you will roll the cookie dough. Start rolling the dough and make it 1/2 inch thick or 1/4 inch thick.
- Using Christmas themed cookie cutters cut your cookies into different shapes. Stars, stockings, Christmas tree, Santa hat, snowflakes, baubles and more such cookie shapes.
- Take out the cookie shapes and put them in your preheat oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Once the cookies are done transfer then to a cooling rack. Remember to use gloves while taking the cookies out of the oven and while putting in.
- Let the cookies cool then start decorating your cookies with the icing.
How To Make The Homemade Icing?
We know traditionally royal icing is used to make sugar cookies but homemade icing works perfectly well with the cookies. To make the icing you will need to follow these step below.
- Take a bowl and add confectioners’ sugar, water, corn syrup, vanilla extract (replace with water for white icing), and a pinch of salt.
- Mix these mixture until its smooth and let it set for 24 hours.
- Then use this icing to decorate your Christmas sugar cookies. You can add different food coloring and gets to the icing to make your preferred color icing.
- Once these icing sets on your Christmas sugar cookies, the icing will get a beautiful sheen color.
Nutrition Facts About Christmas Sugar Cookies
The nutritional facts about Christmas Sugar Cookies are given below.
|Nutrition Facts About Cocoa BombsServing Size:Per Sugar Cookies 31 g
|Amount Per servingCALORIES 150
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 7 g 9%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g 18%
Sodium 85 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 2 g 4%
|Calcium 0 mg 0%
Iron 0.7 mg 4%
|*The percentage of Daily Value (DV) based on a 2000 calorie diet. The DV offers the amount of nutrients per serving of food contains in a daily diet.
We hope this article was able to provide you an easy recipe on making Christmas sugar cookies with icing. Let us know how you Christmas sugar cookies turned out using this recipe. Was it easy to bake or hard to make?